Wednesday, March 14, 2007

n.i.p.s. report



There's this client... he is a sweet, shy, Japanese kid who barely speaks english and bows to me constantly & if I sit on a chair he'll sit on the floor because he says his head can't be above mine. He's one of the clients I see every few weeks one-on-one for an hour or so. Anyway, this week he showed me a box of ceramic bananas that he'd made, around maybe 20 of them, fired with different glazes, some collaged with newspaper. There were a few that looked just like a turd and for some reason it made me very happy to see these things I had never seen before, a new category of object, turd-bananas. I don't think he meant to make them look so poo-like; he just wanted to make them appear rotty and decomposed, and in fact he seemed to be unaware of the resemblance, but really, I mean just look at them!



Also partly I was happy because the last time I'd met with him we had talked for an hour about another ceramic piece he'd made that was essentially a planter, and I had to dig very deep down to come up with stuff to say about interiority vs. exteriority, nature and culture, minimalism and earthworks, yadda-yadda. By comparison it was really easy to talk about those bananas.

13 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow. maybe he's never made a turd? funny that he didn't realize...

 
At 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slothy, didn't you tell him the old saying that sometimes a banana is just a turd?

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well now, I think that goes against everything I believe in PD.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger sloth said...

I do love that old saw, peeds. One thing I do know is I am never going to his house for breakfast...

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger sloth said...

bol dubzy!... that would be one nasty case of constipation...

 
At 2:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I luv poo. I'm serious.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger fairy butler said...

i would like to be beaten severly with these poo bananas tomorrow evening. actually i would like a swift blow to the head right about now.... a shovel,tomato,skateboard, i don't care.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger fairy butler said...

these are great banana turds sloth. i bet i would like the planter though too. i like ordinary stuff like that.

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger fairy butler said...

this client seems good.

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never met anyone who loves poo more than Hammy.

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Lupis. I lurv it. Lets talk about it tonight. Lets talk texture.

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmm, poonanas.

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hearts to you sloth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home