Thursday, January 24, 2008

so a goethe walks into a bar...



"I have entered an inn toward evening, and, as a well-favored girl, with a brilliantly fair complexion, black hair, and a scarlet bodice, came into the room, I looked attentively at her as she stood before me at some distance in half shadow. As she presently afterward turned away, I saw on the white wall, which was now before me, a black face surrounded with a bright light, while the dress of the perfectly distinct figure appeared a beautiful sea-green."
-J.W. von Goethe

5 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger sloth said...

I am excited by this watercolor by Goethe. It is bgood. or gbad? Anyway, I guess you could say it's the painting that launched Modernism. He painted it in 1810.

 
At 7:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice bodice!

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo, isn't that an ofili?

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woah. you nailed it, dubzy...

 
At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

in case the old-timey phrasing is throwing you off, this is a retinal after-image painting. This dude did a lot of perceptual experimentation. It was kind of a fad at the time, and a few peeps went blind from staring at the sun too long.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home